harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <m...@leosimons.com>
Subject Re: NDA issues and acceptable use of sun source
Date Mon, 13 Feb 2006 13:11:17 GMT
On Mon, Feb 13, 2006 at 01:49:34PM +0100, Tor-Einar Jarnbjo wrote:

> >>Which means? Do I have to solve it or are you willing to solve it?
> >
> >Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
> >
> >Are you kidding?
>
> Of course I am not kidding. I am willing to offer a contribution, you
> say that an issue has to be resolved to allow that and I ask who is
> going to do that. Do you expect from your contributors to pay for legal
> advice to be allowed to do non-profit work for you?

I don't think there has ever been a (potential) contributor to the ASF
who has asked for monetary support and/or reimbursement to take care of
any kind of legal issue. There's certainly not an established process
for handling those requests.

But your question is phrased a little differently from how the ASF tends
to think about things. There is no-one doing non-profit work "for" the ASF,
everyone is doing it for their own reasons (usually: they enjoy it, think
its important, are paid to by a company, ..). The ASF provides a whole bunch
of stuff (like hosting, advice, oversight, legal framework) but historically
has tried to do most of that with as little money changing hands aas
possible.

The ASF does have legal counsel (quite a bit on a pro bono basis I
believe) for helping resolve these kinds of issues, but none of that
counsel is German.

Even if the ASF would be willing to pay for legal costs with regard to
figuring out your NDA situation (Really. I think we've never done that.
Never thought about it either. Probably never came up before...), the
person to take care of all the details would still be you. There is no
kind of "staff" around here that takes care of this. The entity responsible
in the end is also still you, and *you* assert you've taken care of things
properly by signing the CLA.

Me, *I* think it'd be great if sun legal would just take care of any
legal costs. I do promise to blog about it if they do :-)

Gotta love open source!

LSD