harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <m...@leosimons.com>
Subject Re: Using Cairo for Harmony graphic stuff?
Date Mon, 13 Feb 2006 01:31:16 GMT
On Mon, Feb 13, 2006 at 02:04:18AM +0100, Tor-Einar Jarnbjo wrote:
> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>
> >Another think that I wonder, for the windowing stuff, why don't we use
> >Cairo[1]?
>
> Isn't Cairo just a rendering library?

Err, yes...it offers drawing primitives for things such as lines and points
and glyphs, on top of other platforms such as X11 and win32.

> AFAIK, it does not offer any kind
> of e.g. portable widget access,

Aye, I think not.

> which is probably the most tricky thing
> to implement for AWT.

I wouldn't know. I can imagine its less work to build on top of Cairo than
to build on top of X11/win32/etc directly, since Cairo is precisely designed
to fulfill the gap between something like AWT (or GTK or wxWindows or ...)
and the underlying system.

But even then a windowing toolkit is always a whole lot of work.

> Swing can be implemented in pure Java, based on
> some simple native support by AWT (open window and supply a Graphics
> object into which the content can be rendered). I don't see where Cairo
> can offer much help in that area?

Well, that Graphics object at some points needs rendering to the screen
doesn't it? :-)

cheers!

LSD