harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <m...@leosimons.com>
Subject Re: Using APR for Harmony's native link to the OS?
Date Fri, 10 Feb 2006 16:21:19 GMT
On Fri, Feb 10, 2006 at 04:40:03PM +0100, Mladen Turk wrote:
> Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
> >
> >I've thought about this a while, and while I'm personally committed to
> >using APR wherever and whenever we can, I don't think it's wise to let
> >the APR tail wag the VM internal architecture dog, so to speak.
>
> Already there :)
> http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/tomcat/connectors/trunk/jni/
>
> All that is needed for example for socket or file api
> is a wrapper over org.apache.tomcat.jni.*
> What is most important, it works :)

That is just *too* cool. At a glance it looks like rather decent JNI
wrappers around a lot of APR stuff. Having worked a little with APR
recently, I'd expect core networking performance is several times that
of anything native-java-based?

Is there any more "developer-like" information on this implementation?

This is just so cool. This code is begging for some more attention,
exposure, use outside tomcat, etc.

Did I mention yet how cool this is?

LSD