harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Santiago Gala <sg...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Fwd: TALK:Wednesday 3-1-06 Evolution of the Java (tm) Programming Language an]
Date Fri, 24 Feb 2006 12:40:33 GMT
El jue, 23-02-2006 a las 20:44 -0500, Stefano Mazzocchi escribió:

(...)

> A good friend of mine used to have "cat juggler" as his title and I was
> thinking about using "software plumber" as mine at one point.

Fair enough, I used to have "problem solver" or "I solve your problems
for a fee" as mine.

> I tend to prefer somebody who admits to be a religiously attached to
> something than those who pretend to be objective about it and deep
> inside they are not.
>
> Not sure this is the case, but that's how I read it.

OK, I just got surprised. I'm giving a talk on "Software and Artistic
Expression" in two weeks, so I kind of understand code as speech. From
there to code as scripture there is just some sliding slope.

I can grok evangelist as a metaphor, but being a Theologian would in my
view mean that src.zip is some sort of holy scripture, thing that I'm
far from believing. Oh, and heresy outside of the JCP church. :-P

What is more, such a title helps building on the tradition of java as a
"mono(theistic)culture", together with the .NET. one

Just yesterday I got squeak/smalltalk communities criticized (and I
agree) for being too closed in themselves, and it rang bells about java
being sort of the same. Having been part of both communities, I can't
but sympathise with Ben Hyde's "Small Gods" post:
http://enthusiasm.cozy.org/archives/2003/06/small-gods

Getting closer to topic, I wonder if someone can post here a subjective
summary of the ideas on support for dynamic languages in future java.
I'm concerned about the stagnation of jython (barely commits since
2.2a1) and I would also like to know how far is support for dynamic
languages going to be.

In particular, things like smalltalk's primitive "anObject become:
anotherObject", which will turn all references to an object to
references to a different one seem difficult to mix with the static
typing nature of java, and I would like to know more about the approach
they are going to take for such kind of problems.

Regards
Santiago
--
VP and Chair, Apache Portals (http://portals.apache.org)