harmony-dev mailing list archives

From David Tanzer <stru...@guglhupf.net>
Subject Re: [classlib] build / test system
Date Sun, 19 Feb 2006 17:15:01 GMT
On Sun, 2006-02-19 at 10:46 -0600, Archie Cobbs wrote:
> David Tanzer wrote:
> > A friend of mine is currently developing a program to manage Java
> > project resources (jars and others) called "gc resource repository"
> > (gc-rr):
> >
> > http://dev.guglhupf.net/commons/rr/index.html
> >
> > Some of the features are:
> >
> > * Central resource repository to share resources between multiple
> >   projects.
> >   * Needed resource are downloaded and stored in a local repository.
> >   * Dependencies between resources are solved.
> >   * Setup the classpath with all needed resources (jars).
> >   * Start java progams with the needed resources.
> >   * Ant integration to setup the classpath.
> >   * Modular ant build script support
> >   * Eclipse classpath builder to setup the classpath in eclipse.
> >
> > You may want to take a look at it. It is distributed under the Apache
> > License, and I guess I could convince Rene Pirringer (the main developer
> > of gc-rr) to contribute it to Apache Harmony if this is desired.
>
> FYI, this sounds very similar to Jpackage.org... is it supposed
> to be better somehow?

I didn't know Jpackage.org so far, but from my first impression gc-rr
is somewhat different. The first version was thought as a replacement
for the dependency management of maven - you could see it as a better
version of the Ant "get" - task. The current version already has some
more features.

AFAICS jpackage.org is linux-only (or RPM based systems only)
-- am I right here? gc-rr is platform independent.

This example (written by Rene) shows how to run an application which
depends on 2 libraries - maybe that makes it a little bit clearer how
rr works:

http://dev.guglhupf.net/commons/rr/example.html

--
David Tanzer, Haghofstr. 29, A-3352 St. Peter/Au, Austria/Europe
http://deltalabs.at -- http://dev.guglhupf.net -- http://guglhupf.net