harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Anthony Green <gr...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Using Cairo for Harmony graphic stuff?
Date Mon, 13 Feb 2006 16:39:00 GMT
On Mon, 2006-02-13 at 13:38 +0300, Sergey Soldatov wrote:
> In my opinion the only area to use Cairo is the Java2D part of AWT.
> Unfortunately any additional layer between 2D and native calls may
> dramatically affect the performance of UI, especially Swing.

GNU Classpath is using Cairo, but I think a better plan now would be to
use jogl (JSR231, whose reference implementation has a very liberal
license).  Sun has done some interesting work with their OpenGL single
threaded rendering backend to address the JNI overhead issue.  You get
nice 2d/3d integration as well.

AG