harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Vladimir Strigun <vstri...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: NIO Component improvement
Date Wed, 18 Jan 2006 18:51:38 GMT
We also have been thinking about implementation of socket channels
from java.nio package. One of the concerns we had is related to the
fact that java.nio.channels API provides methods to access regular
java.net socket classes via corresponding methods of socket channels.
Since socket implementations are typically located in java.net package
and have package private visibility one has to create the new socket
implementations for the java.nio package. Having in mind that the
functionality for them has many things in common it could make sense
to share socket implementations between the java.net and java.nio
packages.

Attached document contains a proposal describing an approach which is
trying to enforce portability of nio socket channels implementation by
moving supporting functions up to java layer and by sharing the code
between java.net's socket implementations and socket channels in
java.nio package thus reducing the amount of java code and number of
native methods in both packages.

Thanks,
Vladimir Strigun, Intel Middleware Products Division.