harmony-dev mailing list archives

From George Harley1 <GHAR...@uk.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Test suite layout
Date Mon, 16 Jan 2006 12:40:02 GMT
Hi,

> This is not the goal of unit tests. They do not test API, they test the
code,
> including package-access members etc. That is why unit tests must reside
> in the same package as the classes.

This is radical stuff. I have never heard the argument before that unit
tests *must* share the same package name as the type under test. One
important reason why many think it is a bad idea to take this approach is
that the resulting unit test code becomes too closely coupled with the
code under test.

Think about it ...

If unit test code can access every package-access member and method in a
given type then the test code will eventually reach a point where it
contains a lot of brittle assumptions about internal implementation.
Consequently, when implementation changes occur, the corresponding test
code will break. Note : I'm not talking about API changes breaking the
test code here, I'm talking about changes to protected and package-access
stuff which - by definition - the developer has chosen to keep non-public.
So as the internals change the unit tests break. And further internal
changes make the unit tests break. And ultimately maintaining the tests
with close-coupling to the internals of the type under test becomes a bit
of a pain and their overall value in the test harness diminishes because
minor refactorings to the type-under-test now take so darned long to carry
out.

Best regards,
George
George C. Harley

Mikhail Loenko <mloenko@gmail.com>
16/01/2006 11:58
Please respond to
harmony-dev@incubator.apache.org

harmony-dev@incubator.apache.org
cc

Subject
Re: Test suite layout

> If your unit tests are intended to test API, then they should be calling
> the API in the same manner that an application will call the API.  Just

This is not the goal of unit tests. They do not test API, they test the
code,
including package-access members etc. That is why unit tests must reside
in the same package as the classes.

Other kinds of tests like compatibility or functional tests call just
public and protected methods so they can be in different packages.

Thanks,
Mikhail Loenko
Intel Middleware Products Division