harmony-dev mailing list archives

From George Harley1 <GHAR...@uk.ibm.com>
Subject RE: Unit test code in HARMONY-16
Date Fri, 13 Jan 2006 13:24:25 GMT
Hi Mikhail,

Thanks for your very complete answer.

> At some point we had different functionality in the
> PerformanceTest but it seems to have died now. That is basically it.

Do you see this class (and its SecurityTest and SerializationTest
subclasses) as candidates for removal then ? When I run the security unit
tests inside my IDE they add some extra lines to the console output but,
since I am not thinking about performance right now, that is just
"background noise".

Perhaps additional performance-related functionality would be better moved
out of the test class' hierarchy and into some decorator class ? That way
would give developers a bit more flexibility running the tests with or
without the intervention of the performance measurement code. Sound
reasonable ?

Best regards,
George
George C. Harley

"Loenko, Mikhail Y" <mikhail.y.loenko@intel.com>
13/01/2006 12:12
Please respond to
harmony-dev@incubator.apache.org

<harmony-dev@incubator.apache.org>
cc

Subject
RE: Unit test code in HARMONY-16

As far as we did not have special performance tests, we used unit tests
to measure performance, i.e. to compare performance of our classes to
performance of "standard" classes. So we ran in cycle a single unit test
on both when there are our security classes in bootclasspath and when
there are not. And compared time. (Of course, not all the tests passed
on "RI")

Some unit tests print various logs that make execution time volatile. To
make it more stable we used log() instead of System.out.print() and in
the "performance mode" did not print anything. log() is defined in the
PerformanceTest. At some point we had different functionality in the
PerformanceTest but it seems to have died now. That is basically it.

The results helped us to find a number of performance leaks and improve
overall quality of the code.

Thanks,
Mikhail Loenko
Intel Middleware Products Division