harmony-dev mailing list archives

From George Harley1 <GHAR...@uk.ibm.com>
Subject RE: regression test suite
Date Thu, 12 Jan 2006 09:48:31 GMT
Hi,

> I think that regression tests should be marked in some way.

Agreed.  But can we please *resist* the temptation to do this by
incorporating JIRA issue numbers into test case names (e.g. calling unit
test methods test_26() or test_JIRA_26()). I've seen this kind of approach
adopted in a couple of projects and, in my experience, it often leads to
the scattering of duplicated test code around the test harness.

Better, methinks, to either create a new test method with a meaningful
name or else augment an existing method - whatever makes more sense for
the particular issue. Then marking certain code as being for regression
test purposes could be done in comments that include the URL of the JIRA
issue. Perhaps an agreed tag like "JIRA" or "BUG" etc could be used as an
eye-catcher as well ?
e.g.

// BUG http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HARMONY-26

My 2 Euro Cents.

Best regards,
George
George C. Harley

"Mishura, Stepan M" <stepan.m.mishura@intel.com>
12/01/2006 04:56
Please respond to
harmony-dev@incubator.apache.org

<harmony-dev@incubator.apache.org>
cc

Subject
RE: regression test suite

Hello,

Tim Ellison wrote:

[snip]

>What is the useful distinction for regression tests being kept
separate?
> I can see that you may distinguish unit and 'system-level' tests just
>because of the difference in frameworks etc. required, but why do I
care
>if the test was written due to a JIRA issue or test-based development
or
>someone who get's kicks out of writing tests to break the code?

I agree that separating regression tests doesn't make sense.
However I think that regression tests should be marked in some way.
This will signal a developer that a test was created to track already
known issue. IMHO, a regression test should point out to a bug report
and a bug report (after resolving a bug) should contain a reference to
corresponding regression test in repository.

Thanks,
Stepan Mishura
Intel Middleware Products Division