harmony-dev mailing list archives

From George Harley <george.c.har...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Contribution of beans, math and regex libraries
Date Mon, 30 Jan 2006 14:23:39 GMT
Hi Andrey,

Certainly the Bouncy Castle jar contains an implementation of the SHA
algorithm. Assuming that you have an uncorrupted BC provider jar in
<HARMONY_JRE>/lib/ext, does this failure get fixed by "unsigning" the BC
jar ?

I hit something similar a few days ago (NoSuchAlgorithmException even
though BC was providing it) and it got fixed by unsigning the provider
jar. Maybe there is a bootstrapping problem verifying the signed BC
provider jar ? I'm not sure if there is an open JIRA issue on this.

Best regards,
George
IBM UK

Andrey Chernyshev wrote:
>> java.beans.PropertyChangeSupportTest
>>
>> First two tests were mentioned in the contribution's README.txt that they
>> may fail. The last one failed on serialization.
>>

> Yes, you are right. As far as I can see the PropertyChangeSupportTest
> fails with the following message:
>
>         java.security.NoSuchAlgorithmException: SHA
>
> Serialization code has to compute the default SUID. To do that, it
> requests message digest with SHA algorithm, e.g. does something like:
>
>       digest = java.security.MessageDigest.getInstance("SHA");
>
> and then fails to get SHA with the default provider package. Could it
> be related to the new security code integration? Were you able to pass
> security2 tests which utilize SHA?
>

> Thank you,
> Andrey Chernyshev
> Intel Middleware Products Division
>

> On 1/30/06, Stepan Mishura <stepan.mishura@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I tried this contribution in the following way: I've substituted the current
>> java.math stub implementation with implementation from the contribution. And
>> I run all security2 tests - most of tests that depend on
>> java.math.BigInteger class passed.
>>
>> Also I run tests from the contribution. All tests passed except
>> java.beans.EventHandlerTest
>> java.beans.SimpleBeanInfoTest
>> java.beans.PropertyChangeSupportTest
>>
>> First two tests were mentioned in the contribution's README.txt that they
>> may fail. The last one failed on serialization.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Stepan Mishura
>> Intel Middleware Products Division
>>

>> On 1/23/06, Andrey Chernyshev <a.y.chernyshev@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I'm happy to announce one more contribution to Harmony on behalf of
>>> Intel. The archive with the contribution is uploaded to the following
>>> location:
>>>
>>> http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HARMONY-39
>>>
>>> The contribution includes the following class library packages:
>>>
>>> 1) java.beans
>>> 2) java.math
>>> 3) java.util.regex
>>>
>>> Note that this contribution includes stubs for certain classes from the
>>> java.awt and java.applet packages as well to enable compilation of
>>> java.beans. The stub classes do not yet include the complete method
>>> signatures
>>> or their fully-functional implementations. Please be prepared to observe
>>> some
>>> unit test failures in the beans package because of that.
>>>
>>> The code is a result of efforts of Intel Middleware Product Division team.
>>> One
>>> should be able to compile and run this code with the Harmony Execution
>>> Environment available at
>>> http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/java/jdk/harmony,
>>> Harmony Class Libraries and Eclipse compiler. The code included with the
>>> contribution is pure Java, we tested it with the Harmony Execution
>>> Environment
>>> on Windows and Linux. The implementation is done according to the Java 5
>>> API
>>> specification, though the Java 5 specific language features such as
>>> generics
>>> were not utilized. One should be able to run this code with a 1.4+compatible
>>> JRE/VM.
>>>
>>> The build provided with the contribution doesn't include the documentation
>>> target yet until we work out the approach to handling the references to
>>> J2SE
>>> spec (we haven't yet removed the com.intel.drl.spec_ref tags from the
>>> code).
>>>
>>> We hope that the proposed regex package would allow developing the fully-
>>> functional build makefiles for Ant. The detailed documentation regarding
>>> the
>>> regex framework can be found under the 'doc' directory.
>>>
>>> The archive contains the README file that explains the things doable with
>>> this
>>> code. But, should any additional clarifications be required, I'll be happy