harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: [testing] code for exotic configurations
Date Fri, 27 Jan 2006 12:57:13 GMT

Mikhail Loenko wrote:
> On 1/27/06, George Harley1 <GHARLEY@uk.ibm.com> wrote:
>> But because we live in a less than ideal world there will, no doubt, be
>> some tests that will demand an
>> environment that is impossible or at the very least difficult to mock up
>> for the majority of developers/testers.
>
> I'm absolutely agree that we are neither living in the ideal world nor trying
> to make it ideal :)
>
> So until we got a 'system' test suite why should we weaken existing tests?
>
>> One solution could be to segregate those tests into a separate test suite
>> (available for all but primarily
>> for those working in the niche area that demands the special environment).
>
> Moving this kind of tests would affect many people: they will see
> separate suites,
> try, ask questions...
>
> If the test can be configured by a few people only who works on that
> specific area and those people are aware of those tests why not just
> print a log when the test is skipped?

Because the same set of people that will be bothered by separate suites
will have the same reaction to skipped tests.

This is why I advocate making a "separate tree" for the system tests -
make it clear that they are not the general unit tests...

> It would not disturb most of the people because the test will pass in 'bad'
> environment. But those, who know about these tests will sometimes grep
> logs to validate configuration.

IMO, there's too much special information there, too much config.  I'm a
simple person, and like things clean and simple.  I don't like to mix
concerns when possible, and here's a place where it's definitely
possible to separate cleanly.

I don't see the downside.

geir