harmony-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Geir Magnusson Jr <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: [jira] Commented: (HARMONY-40) FileChannel assotiated with FileOutputStream not closed after closing output stream
Date Thu, 26 Jan 2006 10:48:01 GMT


Tim Ellison wrote:
> I accept your point.  Since this comment was quite specific to the issue
> then it seemed fitting to keep that as a JIRA comment, if a jira comment
> opens up a wider consideration then I agree it should be responded to on
> the dev list.
> 

To be clear, I certainly agree that it belonged in JIRA.  It just got me 
thinking about one of my pet peeves that I have no solution for, which 
is in itself a pet peeve....

geir

> In this instance, Paulex has a good point about why Vladimir's suggested
> patch will not work.  If that comment is not made in the JIRA then there
> is no indication to JIRA readers that the proposed change is in dispute.
> 
> Bright ideas always welcome, of course.
> 
> Regards,
> Tim
> 
> Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
>> Interesting problem.  I do agree with you - keeping it in one place is a
>> good thing, and JIRA is that place.
>>
>> However, I always find it hard to read jira comment streams - they don't
>> feel the same as discussion in regular dev@ mail.
>>
>> I have no idea what to do about this.  I've thought about doing
>> discussion here, and then dropping a mail thread ID into the JIRA.  That
>> actually would work nicely, maybe.  I've also thought about getting JIRA
>> to reformat comments mail to be more like a regular quoted discussion
>> (maybe put that at top, and regular JIRA output at bottom of mail.)
>>
>> Clearly I have no real solution.  I figured I'd just complain in case
>> someone else has a bright idea... :)
>>
>> geir
>>
>>
>> Tim Ellison wrote:
>>> Paulex,
>>>
>>> IMHO This would be better as a comment on the JIRA issue itself, then we
>>> can keep them all together.  Would you like to repeat yourself there ;-)
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Tim
>>>
>>> Paulex Yang wrote:
>>>> The patch does work in some case, but it is not enough.
>>>>
>>>> First, when the channel is closed, the relevant stream(FileInputStream,
>>>> FileOutputStream or RandomAccessFile) also needs to closed. So only add
>>>> codes to the FileOutputStream is not enough.
>>>>
>>>> Second, the FileOutputStream/FileInputStream will close itself in the
>>>> finalize() method(as Java spec says), and with your patch, current
>>>> implementation in Harmony will close the channel at that time, too. This
>>>> is very dangerous, because if someone writes code like below, the fos
>>>> may be garbage collected and closed, and channel will also be closed, so
>>>> that the following operation on channel will throw unexpected exception.
>>>> <code>
>>>> .....
>>>> FileChannel channel = null;
>>>> try{
>>>>    FileOutputStream fos = new FileOutputStream("somefile.txt", false);
>>>>    channel = fos.getChannel();
>>>> }catch(Exception e){
>>>> }
>>>> /*continue operate on channel*/
>>>> .....
>>>> </code>
>>>>
>>>> Third, the native close operation should only be executed once, so that
>>>> some synchronization mechanism on the channel and stream should be
>>>> introduced, which should also avoid deadlock when one thread is calling
>>>> fos.close() while the other is calling channel.close().
>>>>
>>>> As a conclusion, the close issue is yet another reason that the three
>>>> classes IO package need to be refactored to based on same JNI interface
>>>> with FileChannel. Pls. refer to my work on JIRA issue #42.
>>>>
>>>> Vladimir Strigun (JIRA)
>>>>>     [
>>>>> http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HARMONY-40?page=comments#action_12363705
>>>>>
>>>>> ]
>>>>> Vladimir Strigun commented on HARMONY-40:
>>>>> -----------------------------------------
>>>>>
>>>>> Forced close of file current file channel in file output stream can be
>>>>> added (diff for current FileOutputStream)
>>>>> 173a174,177
>>>>>  
>>>>>>               if (channel != null) {
>>>>>>                       channel.close();
>>>>>>                       channel = null;
>>>>>>               }
>>>>>>     
>>>>>  
>>>>>> FileChannel assotiated with FileOutputStream not closed after closing
>>>>>> output stream
>>>>>> -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>          Key: HARMONY-40
>>>>>>          URL: http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HARMONY-40
>>>>>>      Project: Harmony
>>>>>>         Type: Bug
>>>>>>   Components: Classlib
>>>>>>     Reporter: Vladimir Strigun
>>>>>>     
>>>>>  
>>>>>> When I receive FileChannel from file output stream, write something
>>>>>> to stream and then close it, channel, assotiated with the stream
is
>>>>>> still open. I'll attach unit test for the issue.
>>>>>>     
>>>>>   
> 

Mime
View raw message