harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: [classlib] Unit and performance testing
Date Tue, 24 Jan 2006 13:02:29 GMT

Mikhail Loenko wrote:
>>> Hello
>>>
>>> We have figured out that one of approcahes that was earlier dicussed and that
>>> I originally opposed would work for us.
>>>
>>> That is: get PerformanceTest class out of there and replace log() with calls
>>> to java.util.logging.Logger.
>>>
>>> Please let me know what you think.
>> What are you logging?
>
> Normally any information that would be useful to easily detect
> the reason of failure. A good test explains why it failed, the best test
> submits a bug report and provides a patch, the worst test
> just complains that it failed.

Right - so in the event of failure, write all the information that you
need out.

In the event of success, don't.

> I would not wish to debug just to figure out that the reason of failures is
> that I've forgot to include something to classpath or there is another
> config problem

Right - you look at the test output, which has the ClassNotFound
stacktrace. That's how I remember to put junit and bcprov in my classpath.

>> Nobody is going to search log files looking for success/failure messages.
>
> Agreed
>
>> If the test passes, then all is fine; if it does not pass then it should
>> inform the framework (i.e. a failing assertion or an explicit call to
>> fail()).  At that point JUnit will give you a cause of failure, and if
>
> fail() is not always convinient, for example, how would you print
> stack trace to fail()? Meanwhile stacktrace is most often enough
> to find what the problems are and sort them out.

if (condition isn't met) {
   System.out.printStackTrace()
   fail()
}