harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Rick McGuire <rick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: JVM Spec Interpretation Question
Date Tue, 17 Jan 2006 11:18:52 GMT
rohit hitnalikar wrote:
> Hello Gurus,
>
>   I am not able to understand the following bit from JVM spec v2.0
> which talks about permitted narrowing reference conversions:
>
>   *From any class type S to any interface type K, provided that S is not
> final and does not implement K. (An important special case is that
> there is a narrowing conversion from the class type Object to any interface
> type.)

Grrr, sorry about the mostly empty reply before...keystroke problems in
Thunderbird.

Ok, here's a simple case:

public class Base {
}

public interface AnInterface {
}

public class SubBase extends Base implements AnInterface
{
}

Base a = new SubBase();

AnInterface b = (AnInterface)a;

At the point of the cast, the compiler is unable to determine if
reference "a" is an object that implements AnInterface.  The base class
Base does not, but a superclass might, so this narrowing must be allowed.

However, if Base was final, then it cannot have subclasses and thus this
narrowing cannot succeed.