harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Test framework
Date Mon, 16 Jan 2006 11:58:04 GMT
One thing that's popped up on the "Test suite layout" thread is the
thought that we need to b0rk the canonical package and naming
conventions for unit tests in order to be able to run things on the boot
classpath of the VM.  I think this issue is important enough and
fundamental enough to warrant it's own thread.

First, do we really need to do this?  I thought that we (Tim and I) had
informally discussed this at ApacheCon and came to some good conclusion
where we were able to figure out a trick.

Second, shouldn't we think about providing a test environment in which
we can completely control the environment  - we can test the class
library in a container that can be run in any VM so we have full control
over security and other issues?

Of course, I'd like both.  If we do have the "trick" that we talked
about, then we can use canonical JUnit (or TestNG) naming and package
conventions, which I think is important.

geir