harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: Growing the Harmony community
Date Fri, 13 Jan 2006 17:32:09 GMT

Tim Ellison wrote:
> For Harmony to be successful we need to grow the active development
> community from where we are now.  Thinking about how we grow, I see a
> couple of goals:
>
> - expand the number of people contributing to development

Yes, that would be the primary goal indeed!

> After the initial and necessary work to set the legal framework for
> contribution, we now need to make it clear how people can get involved
> and contribute to Harmony.  The paperwork can look daunting, so a
> summary on the website/wiki would be good.

Please, not the wiki.  Website.  That's where official information is.

> We have got code contributions in the VM and class library space.  The
> committers should spend time describing how that existing code works as
> well as continuing active development.  Some of that description may be
> best done here on the list, and some of that may be more static on the
> website.

What I want to do here is have pages on each "component" (in the top
level sense) on the website.  Right now, we have "classlib" and that
should have a space.  Archie seems interested in bringing JCHEVM up out
of sandbox, so that gets one...

> We should describe a set of near-term goals, to show people where we are
> going and where they can help.  Putting some issues into JIRA as we work
> on them will help, but also an indication of simple fixes/major tasks on
> the wiki or website would give everyone a sense of project direction.

Yah - JIRA is good for this, becuase it's where you'd put them anyway,
and there are some management tools for JIRA that let us keep track of
them.  Wiki's tend to get stale I think - in this case, it would be a
double-update needed.

> Archie's suggestion of publishing snapshots is great.  If we publish
> regular snapshots with a summary of advances and capabilitites then we
> will encourage developers (and maybe reckless users<g>) to give it a spin.

Projects tend to do this nightly, so we should work towards that.  I
realize we aren't there yet, but it should be the goal.

>  - expand the existing committers responsibility
>
> The Harmony website is looking unloved.  IMHO all committers should feel
> responsible for keeping it up to date and relevant.

All are.

> Looking at the list of incubator projects [1], I see there are eight
> mentors for Harmony, and there are 13 committers for Harmony on Jim's
> committer list [2].  I realize that not all mentors and committers are
> going to be equally active on the project, but shouldn't the active
> committers be members of the PPMC?
>
> [1] http://incubator.apache.org/projects
> [2] http://people.apache.org/~jim/committers.html

All active committers will be, yes.