harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: Test suite layout
Date Fri, 13 Jan 2006 16:56:22 GMT

Tim Ellison wrote:
> Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
>
>>Tim Ellison wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>>>We would have written it as java.io.tests, but the java.<whatever>
>>>namespace is reserved, so the formula is simply

>>Ug - then you have the problem of not being in the namespace as what you
>>are testing.
>>
>>THat's why people use parallel trees - so your test code is physically
>>separate but you have freedom of package access.
>

> For 'normal' application code then you can do this, but since we are
> writing the java packages themselves then you come unstuck because the
> java packages have to run on the bootclasspath, and the tests on the
> application classpath.

I thought we figured this out chatting at ApacheCon, but I don't
remember what it was.

Is the tail wagging the dog here? IOW, is this code unit-testable in a
framework outside of being on the boot classpath in the running host VM?
  IOW, can we mock an environemnt to help here?

> You don't want to run all your tests on the bootclasspath (because then
> it would not be subject to the same security sandboxing as applications
> using the APIs you are testing); and you cannot put java.<whatever> on
> the application classpath because the VM will catch you out (you'd get a
> linkage error IIRC).

Right - but for unit tests, I would imagine there's a large class that
test functionality independent of this.  Further, I think we'd want to
mock this so we can control the security sandboxing for more thorough
testing.

>>>This makes it clear what is being tested, and where to add new tests etc.
>>

>>So would
>>
>>  test/org/apache/harmony/io/TestFoo.java
>>
>>(to test something in org.apache.harmony.io, and arguable to test the
>>Foo.java class in there.  (or TestFoo.java - it's early - no coffee yet)
>

> Not sure what you are saying here... For java.<whatever> packages we
> need a prefix on the test packages to keep the VM happy, but for
> org.apache.harmony packages we can have either pre- or post-.
>
> I'd actually prefer a postfix of .tests for non-API packages, though I
> can understand if people object to the inconsistency; so
>
> org.apache.harmony.tests.java.io.FileTest.java      <- test API
> org.apache.harmony.io.tests.FileImpltest.java  <- test public methods
>                                                   in our IO impl'

I'll wait until you respond to above.

>>Simiarly
>>
>>  test/java/util/TestMap.java
>>

>>>Then within the test class itself the methods are named after the method
>>>under test, with a familar JNI-style encoding,  so we have things like:
>>>
>>>org.apache.harmony.tests.java.io.FileTest contains
>>>    public void test_ConstructorLjava_io_FileLjava_lang_String() {
>>>    }
>>>
>>>and
>>>
>>>org.apache.harmony.tests.java.lang.FloatTest contains
>>>    public void test_compareToLjava_lang_Float() {
>>>    }
>>

>>...or whatever the convention is for JUnit.  I think that's one of the
>>nice things about TestNG, is that it's annotated, so you have the
>>freedom there.
>>

>>>If the test is added due to a regression, then it is put into the right
>>>place in the test suite, and flagged with a comment (i.e. a reference to
>>>the Harmony JIRA number).
>>

>>Yes - and I'd even advocate a parallel directory there too so that it's
>>clear that the regressions are different, but whatever.  The only snag
>>there is name collision with the classes.
>

> I thought we'd agreed that 'regression' was not a useful classification
> within the test suite layout ...

I don't remember - because I still believe that our regression tests are
going to be of broad scope, so having bucketing into kinds of tests will
make it easier for day to day development (i.e. devs can focus on
iterating w/ unit tests that require minimal infrastructure, while CI
infrastructure can do the broader, slower or more complicated testing...)

Either way, I suspect we'll be figuring it out as we go along.

>>I think that a simple comment is enough.  If we want to get cute, maybe
>>a javadoc tag so we can manage mechanically in the future.
>

> ok -- do you have a usecase in mind?

For the tag?  Sure  - if you wanted to run through the code to see which
JIRAs had corresponding tests, for example...