harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Growing the Harmony community
Date Fri, 13 Jan 2006 10:38:36 GMT
For Harmony to be successful we need to grow the active development
community from where we are now.  Thinking about how we grow, I see a
couple of goals:

- expand the number of people contributing to development

After the initial and necessary work to set the legal framework for
contribution, we now need to make it clear how people can get involved
and contribute to Harmony.  The paperwork can look daunting, so a
summary on the website/wiki would be good.

We have got code contributions in the VM and class library space.  The
committers should spend time describing how that existing code works as
well as continuing active development.  Some of that description may be
best done here on the list, and some of that may be more static on the
website.

We should describe a set of near-term goals, to show people where we are
going and where they can help.  Putting some issues into JIRA as we work
on them will help, but also an indication of simple fixes/major tasks on
the wiki or website would give everyone a sense of project direction.

Archie's suggestion of publishing snapshots is great.  If we publish
regular snapshots with a summary of advances and capabilitites then we
will encourage developers (and maybe reckless users<g>) to give it a spin.

 - expand the existing committers responsibility

The Harmony website is looking unloved.  IMHO all committers should feel
responsible for keeping it up to date and relevant.

Looking at the list of incubator projects [1], I see there are eight
mentors for Harmony, and there are 13 committers for Harmony on Jim's
committer list [2].  I realize that not all mentors and committers are
going to be equally active on the project, but shouldn't the active
committers be members of the PPMC?

[1] http://incubator.apache.org/projects
[2] http://people.apache.org/~jim/committers.html

 - don't get me wrong

I don't mean this note to sound negative; far from it, I want to share
some of the enthusiasm and excitement for the project as widely as
possible.  Consider it a call to arms for everyone, and especially the
existing committers (by which of course I include myself).

I promise to put aside time beyond code development to address some of
the issues above, update the website and document some of the project
successes to date (will have to understand Anakia first <g>) -- will you
join me?

Regards,
Tim

--