harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Archie Cobbs <arc...@dellroad.org>
Subject Re: Publishing a JCHEVM snapshot
Date Thu, 12 Jan 2006 15:25:30 GMT
Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
> Ok - lets do this.
>
> Lets make this "repeatable" - I put that in quotes becuase our toolchain
> configs are tough right now, but we do want to be working towards
> repeatability.
>
> So lets write down how we do it, make sure it's scripted, and do it - so
> Tim does it for the classlib, and archie for the JCHEVM, but lets work
> towards being able to automate completely (i.e. let the systme do the
> nightly).
>
> Once you have that in place, bellow - we'll put them on
>
>   svn.apache.org/snapshots/incubator-harmony/
>
> I'll go create that so any committer can move code there.
>
> When anyone puts up a snapshot, please send a short note to the list for
> the record (so we know where the binaries that are there came from...)

I'd like to better understand this process...

Does snapshots/incubator-harmony contain the scripts to build
the snapshots, or the snapshots themselves? Seems like the latter
wouldn't make any sense.. we don't want to check in redundant
tarballs of code that lies elsewhere in the tree do we? (Besides,
if this is going to be totally scripted, we don't want scripts to
have to make commits.)

If the directory contains scripts, how do they get run? Seems like
we'll need some svn:externals on that directory so the code we're
building gets checked out below, so the script has something to
build.. then what should the script do with the resulting tarball (or
RPM, etc)? Just leave it in that directory or copy it somewhere?
I.e, how does what gets built end up on a web page somewhere where
people can download it? Etc..

Thanks,
-Archie