harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Test suite layout
Date Thu, 12 Jan 2006 14:03:48 GMT
Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
> Tim Ellison wrote:
<snip>

>> We would have written it as java.io.tests, but the java.<whatever>
>> namespace is reserved, so the formula is simply

> Ug - then you have the problem of not being in the namespace as what you
> are testing.
>
> THat's why people use parallel trees - so your test code is physically
> separate but you have freedom of package access.

For 'normal' application code then you can do this, but since we are
writing the java packages themselves then you come unstuck because the
java packages have to run on the bootclasspath, and the tests on the
application classpath.

You don't want to run all your tests on the bootclasspath (because then
it would not be subject to the same security sandboxing as applications
using the APIs you are testing); and you cannot put java.<whatever> on
the application classpath because the VM will catch you out (you'd get a
linkage error IIRC).

>> This makes it clear what is being tested, and where to add new tests etc.
>

> So would
>
>   test/org/apache/harmony/io/TestFoo.java
>
> (to test something in org.apache.harmony.io, and arguable to test the
> Foo.java class in there.  (or TestFoo.java - it's early - no coffee yet)

Not sure what you are saying here... For java.<whatever> packages we
need a prefix on the test packages to keep the VM happy, but for
org.apache.harmony packages we can have either pre- or post-.

I'd actually prefer a postfix of .tests for non-API packages, though I
can understand if people object to the inconsistency; so

org.apache.harmony.tests.java.io.FileTest.java      <- test API
org.apache.harmony.io.tests.FileImpltest.java  <- test public methods
                                                  in our IO impl'

> Simiarly
>
>   test/java/util/TestMap.java
>

>> Then within the test class itself the methods are named after the method
>> under test, with a familar JNI-style encoding,  so we have things like:
>>
>> org.apache.harmony.tests.java.io.FileTest contains
>>     public void test_ConstructorLjava_io_FileLjava_lang_String() {
>>     }
>>
>> and
>>
>> org.apache.harmony.tests.java.lang.FloatTest contains
>>     public void test_compareToLjava_lang_Float() {
>>     }
>

> ...or whatever the convention is for JUnit.  I think that's one of the
> nice things about TestNG, is that it's annotated, so you have the
> freedom there.
>

>> If the test is added due to a regression, then it is put into the right
>> place in the test suite, and flagged with a comment (i.e. a reference to
>> the Harmony JIRA number).
>

> Yes - and I'd even advocate a parallel directory there too so that it's
> clear that the regressions are different, but whatever.  The only snag
> there is name collision with the classes.

I thought we'd agreed that 'regression' was not a useful classification
within the test suite layout ...

> I think that a simple comment is enough.  If we want to get cute, maybe
> a javadoc tag so we can manage mechanically in the future.

ok -- do you have a usecase in mind?

Regards,
Tim

--