harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <m...@leosimons.com>
Subject Re: javadocs policies and rifles
Date Fri, 27 Jan 2006 15:54:21 GMT
Various bits snipped...

On Fri, Jan 27, 2006 at 10:45:35AM -0500, Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
>   If we are going to do javadoc for java*, and
>   we have to to be a serious implementation, I'd
>   like to ensure that there's no confusion with
>   the spec.

+1 (as in, confusion == bad)

>   I'd like to simply put a link  to
>   the spec javadoc at the top of each class javadoc,
>   and then write anything we want after that.

+0 (as in, that's a technical detail I'm probably not going to help
    with, but I support the idea)

> Then it's very clear that the spec is 'there' (off in Sun-land), our
> implementation notes, usage notes, comments, explanations, etc are here,
> in Harmony Land.
>
> And when we get permission to re-use spec javadoc in implementation,
> which IMO is the Right Thing that Sun should do, then we just copy-paste
> that in and keep going.

+1 (as in, "IMO", all java specs and their javadocs should be under some
    very liberal terms which are compatible with eg the apache license
    and the apache license policies)

> But Leo, there's a serious issue here.  I won't go into detail here to
> avoid boring people unless asked.

No thanks, I think I pretty much get it now, where I didn't really get the
same message before.

Happy hacking!

LSD