harmony-dev mailing list archives

From rohit hitnalikar <rohit.hitnali...@gmail.com>
Subject JVM Spec Interpretation Question
Date Tue, 17 Jan 2006 10:31:22 GMT
Hello Gurus,

  I am not able to understand the following bit from JVM spec v2.0
which talks about permitted narrowing reference conversions:

  *From any class type S to any interface type K, provided that S is not
final and does not implement K. (An important special case is that
there is a narrowing conversion from the class type Object to any interface
type.)
*
  Can somebody please let me know how to correctly interpret this?
  In what cases, do we come across the need to use such a feature ? an
example would be most helpful.

  This bit is taken from the following links :

http://java.sun.com/docs/books/vmspec/2nd-edition/html/Concepts.doc.html#32879

  or here

http://java.sun.com/docs/books/jls/second_edition/html/conversions.doc.html#25379

thanks in advance,