harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Wielaard <m...@klomp.org>
Subject RE: Writing JavaDoc
Date Mon, 16 Jan 2006 11:35:47 GMT
Hi Loenko.

On Fri, 2006-01-13 at 15:32 +0300, Loenko, Mikhail Y wrote:
> I think Classpath is a little bit different story. It is not a Java(tm)
> so a developer who writes for Classpath has to validate with Classpath
> docs whether his code is going to work.

No, the goal is to be a free compatible replacement for the proprietary
standard libraries. We just want to make sure we have great free
documentation to go together with our free implementation. We are not
marketing GNU Classpath as Java, because Java is a trademark and we
don't want to promote it as something it is not (at the moment). Of
course GNU Classpath is also just the standard libraries, not a whole
runtime and development environment. But there are multiple projects
creating a full suite (like gcc and kaffe for example, which include all
the tools necessary). There is even an effort, Roxo, that has as
objective use Kaffe+GNU Classpath as a basis to achieve TCK
Compatibility, and as such, be recognizable as a full J2SE
implementation. Which can then be probably be called Java (TM).

Cheers,

Mark