harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Wielaard <m...@klomp.org>
Subject Re: Growing the Harmony community
Date Mon, 16 Jan 2006 11:29:23 GMT
Hi Tim,

On Fri, 2006-01-13 at 10:38 +0000, Tim Ellison wrote:
> For Harmony to be successful we need to grow the active development
> community from where we are now.

> We should describe a set of near-term goals, to show people where we are
> going and where they can help.

I think it would be great if you could better explain where in the
ecosystem you fit in. There is a pretty nice document with a roadmap for
where we as free software community are going and how we go about it
http://developer.classpath.org/support/ how can harmony enhance that?

> I don't mean this note to sound negative; far from it, I want to share
> some of the enthusiasm and excitement for the project as widely as
> possible.  Consider it a call to arms for everyone, and especially the
> existing committers (by which of course I include myself).

To be honest a lot of my initial enthusiasm has gone away when I saw
that as harmony founder my suggestions seem to be ignored. I do know how
to grow a community and I would love harmony to be part of the growth.
But it seems a lot of the suggestions we made have just been ignored.
let me list them again so you can see what makes sense:
- Try to enhance and work together with the existing projects whenever
possible: http://www.gnu.org/software/classpath/stories/ there are
active communities out there with a lot of diversity and knowledge.
- To make sharing possible make sure you use a distribution policy that
alligns with these projects. In particular most existing projects are
GPL-compatible, make sure your contributions are also so they can be
easily integrated. Use an exception like GNU Classpath as necessary if
you want to use the Apache license but also like to integrate for
example.
- For supporting lots of platform and architectures (see the stories
above) take a look at the VM integration guide and help improve that. If
you get patches in that will help all the 30+ projects listed above. It
is a nice setup that works for a lot of different platforms and
architectures, even for things like static compilers, .net integration,
etc.
- There is a strong feeling that we should try and work together on a
set of standard libraries with all the projects. In the past various
projects had their own standard libraries, now almost everybody
cooperates on the GNU Classpath set. Please join that effort.
- There is a similar thing for creating a test suite that will help all
projects collaborate on quality management, Mauve. Improving that helps
the whole community, while having separate project specific test suites
are much harder to share.

A lot of the existing community and a lot of the Harmony founders
(Dalibor, Tom, Jeroen, Geir, I and if he can make it Leo) will be at the
GNU Classpath and friends meeting in Brussels next month. It would be
cool if you could join that meeting because there are a lot of people
there that would like to cooperate if you are serious about it. See
http://www.gnu.org/software/classpath/events/fosdem06.html

Cheers,

Mark