harmony-dev mailing list archives

From George Harley1 <GHAR...@uk.ibm.com>
Subject Re: No kernel.jar when building ibm_core and java launcher problem
Date Tue, 06 Dec 2005 21:07:54 GMT
Hi Rem,

The kernel.jar isn't built as the SVN code expects that this JAR will be
supplied by the VM provider. The classes contained in kernel.jar are
closely coupled with the VM (they each have dependencies on the other's
implementation) and so are expected to be delivered by the VM provider.
You can read more about the kernel classes at ...

http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/incubator/harmony/enhanced/trunk/sandbox/contribs/ibm_core/doc/kernel_doc/html/index.html#KernelJavaClasses

The repository does actually contain some mocked up versions of the kernel
classes (see the java-src/kernel folder) which should compile (have you
checked under the bin folder ?). In order to get a full-fat kernel.jar you
will need to download the IBM Development Package for Apache Harmony at

http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/java/jdk/harmony/index.html

This contains a compatible VM for the Harmony code in SVN. Instructions
should come in the download for how to configure the VM element with what
you have been building.

Hope this helps. Please let us know how you get on.

Bye for now,
George
George C. Harley

Remy Suen <remy.suen@gmail.com>
06/12/2005 08:56
Please respond to
harmony-dev@incubator.apache.org

harmony-dev@incubator.apache.org
cc

Subject
No kernel.jar when building ibm_core and java launcher problem

Hi,

It's quite possible that I totally missed the topic of this matter
since there are quite a few threads on the Harmony development list, so
I apolgoize if this has been brought up already. I've looked on JIRA
and didn't find anything, I asked on #harmony and was asked to ask on
the list, so here I am. :)

In the build.xml file within ibm_core/java-src, kernel.jar does not
appear to be built, is there any reason for this? I noticed this when
during my classpath configuration process when I was creating a new
project in Eclipse. I realized I couldn't create any new classes since
there was no java.lang.Objec to inherit from! :P The kernel folder
holds some very important classes as I'm sure you all know, so to
reiterate my original question, why isn't kernel.jar being built?

With regards to my second question/problem, I do not appear to be able
to run the java launcher within ibm_core.

rcjsuen@Vvardenfell
~/source/harmony/enhanced/trunk/sandbox/contribs/ibm_core/deploy/jre/bin
$ ./java tes Failed to open JVM
DLL:
/home/rcjsuen/source/harmony/enhanced/trunk/sandbox/contribs/ibm_core/deploy/jre/bin/default/clearvm
(/home/rcjsuen/source/harmony/enhanced/trunk/sandbox/contribs/ibm_core/deploy/jre/bin/default/libclearvm.so:
cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)

I have tried setting JAVA_HOME to nothing and also to deploy/jre as
specified in README.txt to no avail.

Thank you for your time, any input anyone can offer would be most
appreciated. I apologize if I have missed these issues being brought up
on the list during a previous discussion.

Regards,
Rem