harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: ASF has been shipping GPL exception stuff for years and still is ;)
Date Sun, 04 Dec 2005 19:13:30 GMT

On Dec 4, 2005, at 12:38 PM, Anthony Green wrote:

> On Sun, 2005-12-04 at 11:14 -0500, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>> That said, I think that to be fair, we need to distinguish between
>> "using" in the sense of what GCC is doing  - a tool outside the scope
>> of effort of the project enabling some behavior in a standard and
>> non-
>> intrusive way (just like we don't care about the license of the OS we
>> run on), and "using" in the sense of developers of a project making a
>> conscious decision to design and implement software with a
>> dependency.
>
> This is wrong thinking.  You aren't simply "using" the libgcc
> routines,
> as you would OS resources.  You are linking your application to the
> libgcc library and redistributing the resulting combined binary.
> This
> is precisely what the license talks about and enables.

Ok - while it's not exactly the same, the fundamental point I was
trying to make is sound, I think, in that in writing my program, I am
not at all thinking "hey, I'll use stuff from libgcc".  I'm just
writing a C program.  After that, compiling and creating the
executable is a second independent step - the receiver of the
software has no burden to switch compilers wrt libgcc.

The license needs to allow this,  or using it would be a non-starter.

> Whether or not you make a distinction between this kind of GPL
> +exception
> usage and libstdc++ or GNU Classpath usage hardly matters, since the
> licenses themselves don't make a distinction.

That would only be true if there is a standard interface / component
model for the classlibrary so that there can be competing
implementations and users have the ability to switch from one
implementation to another without significant burden in the event
they wish to make changes, additions or enhancements, and have the
freedom to choose what they do with their work.

That's why I think that the our componentization efforts are so
important.

geir

geir@optonline.net

geirm@apache.org