harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Andrey Chernyshev <a.y.chernys...@gmail.com>
Subject 64-bit support in Harmony
Date Wed, 28 Dec 2005 12:41:54 GMT
The README for HARMONY-14 class libraries contribution says that the
currently supported configurations are "win.IA32" or "linux.IA32".
Some classes have also dependencies on ICU4C and ICU4JNI libraries
which are included as 32-bit binaries with the contribution.

I wonder what people think how we could extend it to support any
64-bit platforms? More specifically:

 - are there any plans to commit 64-bit binaries of ICU4C and ICU4JNI,
say, for EM64T or IPF (Itanium Platform Family)?

- will it be possible to compile and run the current implementation of
Harmony class libraries on 64-bit platforms, provided that the 64-bit
binaries of ICU and 64-bit VM are in place? At least the file
'native-src\linux.IA32\port\hysignal.c' seems to be IA32-specific as
it contains information about IA32 registers. The files 'thrhelp.s'
and 'thrspinlock.s' in the 'thread' directory are also the examples of
IA32-specific code.

Thank you,
Andrey Chernyshev
Intel Managed Runtime Division