harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr. <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Where to place the core classlib code?
Date Thu, 01 Dec 2005 15:50:52 GMT

On Dec 1, 2005, at 6:59 AM, Tim Ellison wrote:

> Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>>

>> Yes - we've talked about this before, and I just wanted to focus on
>> classlib...
>>
>> The problem I have with this is that we won't be able to branch the
>> whole thing easily like we would if we had :
>>
>> enhanced/
>>      trunk/
>>          classlib/
>>          vm/
>>          tools/
>>      branches/
>>          harmony-v0.5-branch/
>>      tags/
>>          harmony-v0.5-rc1/
>>          harmony-v0.5-rc2/
>>
>> Thinking out load -  it's not obvious to me that we'd want to do that
>> anyway, given the eventual mass of this thing.  The deliverable
>> goal  is
>> a full stack and tools, would we really want to be assembling from
>> truly independent sub-parts?   Yah, I guess we do...  that allows the
>> sub-components to be independently developed and tested.
>
> Right, in a system this size we have to break it down into subprojects
> (what you called 'subdivisions' below).  The *repository* branches
> will
> be most useful within a subproject, and if we want different
> combinations of subprojects then they are likely build-time targets.
>
>> It might be that the structure of each subdivision (not using the
>> word
>> "component"
>
> are you comfortable with "subproject"?
>
>> needs to vary independently also because of  requirement
>> specific to each (for example, a modular class library  would have
>> ore
>> than one build artifact...
>
> exactly.  We have said that the classlibs are going to be modular too,
> so we will have flexibility within the classlib subproject/
> subdivision too.

Ok - so we should just move it then to

enhanced/classlib/trunk

and it goes from there.

Now, I'm really worried about getting some build sanity from the
start, because other than a corked wine, there are few things more
disappointing than "the build is broken"

I think we need that each subproject will need freedom for approaches
for building as we're going to have a diverse set of technologies.
But if we can federate so that
what's in enhanced/build is the master that can kick off a subproject
build, we have a bit os sanity.  We don't have to do it right now,
but we should keep this in mind as enh/classlib evolves in the very
near term.

geir

geirm@apache.org