harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: regression test suite
Date Fri, 30 Dec 2005 15:52:42 GMT
Thanks for bringing this up.  This has been on my to-do list to talk about.

inline

Vladimir Strigun wrote:
> We already discussed several questions about tests. But I'd like to
> open a new topic about regression test suite. Some API bugs have been
> fixed (or patch suggested) and I think it will be useful to have
> regression tests for all these bugs to avoid them reappearing in the
> future.
>
> I think the natural place for the regression tests should be together
> with the unit tests. I am not sure, however, if the regression tests
> should be marked explicitly or differ from the unit tests in any other
> specific way.
>
> What do you think about it? Any preferences?

I think that putting them in a parallel tree is worth considering, just
for the sake of organization, as long as this is transparent to the
tools a developer/user would use to do run the tests.  I do think that
"regression test" is a broad term, and we might want to harvest things
out of regression tests for where our unit tests fell short.

I also believe we should be encourging bug reporters to submit a test
that demonstrates the bug.  We'd acquire a good set of tests at that point.

I was going to take a hard look at the build/test framework this
week(end).  Might as well start now.  Currently, it's JUnit.  I'm
wondering if anyone would consider switching to TestNG.  I've never used
it, but it's written by a guy I really respect and the point was to
address shortcomings he found in JUnit...

geir