harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Bootstrapping the classlibrary builds
Date Thu, 29 Dec 2005 11:00:55 GMT
Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
>> Tim Ellison wrote:
>>> Can you think of any other runtime modularity systems that we should
>>> consider supporting?
>>
>> Sadly "rt.jar" because I hope that other VMs will support our VM/lib
>> interface, and thus our classlib, and manybe not yet do OSGi.
>
> Clearly I didn't read Tim's question.  Or if I did, I didn't answer it.
>         I don't consider rt.jar a runtime modularity system.  I was just
> thinking of packagings of the library...

Right, if we don't consider runtime modularity support then we can
package it up in to any shape and a monolith rt.jar would be just fine.

Since OSGi is the main game in town at the moment for runtime support, I
believe it makes sense to maintain the OSGi metadata (JAR manifests)
alongside the components in the repository.  Besides ensuring we don't
unwittingly break the runtime model it allows us to break up the
classlib development into manageable pieces with well-defined boundaries
between them.

If JSR277 implies something different then we'll consider it at the time.

Regards,
Tim

--

Tim Ellison (t.p.ellison@gmail.com)