harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Bootstrapping the classlibrary builds
Date Sun, 25 Dec 2005 22:13:53 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> Maybe I'm missing something, but if A depends on B and B depends on A,
> isn't the separation between A and B something to reconsider?

I agree that we should be minimizing these circular dependencies, but if
you make their avoidance a hard rule then you soon end up dragging lots
of code into a single massive-component.

Some of the API circularities are quite minimal.  For example regular IO
in the LUNI component depends upon NIO because, amongst a few other
cases, java.io.FileInputStream.getChannel() returns a
java.nio.channels.FileChannel which in turn may throw a java.io.IOException.

I believe that the set of circular dependencies can be managed down to a
small number, and the extra modularity gives greater flexibility.

Regards,
Tim

--

Tim Ellison (t.p.ellison@gmail.com)