harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Licensing/Community] Fresh start
Date Mon, 05 Dec 2005 16:12:05 GMT
Davanum Srinivas wrote:
> Mark,
>
> Personally, i'd like to see progress on the "VM Interface" ASAP, that
> would go a long way to removing the mistrust. That would enable
> harmony VM to use unmodified classpath stuff as-is for development
> purposes and can act as a firewall till the licenses get sorted out.
>
> See snippet from Leo's email:
> "Mark told me someone tried something like that a year or two ago
> already. I forgot whom or what it was called, but I'd suggest trying
> to learn about it and if it failed, why."
>
> If i see some componentization such that i can drop in say
> xalan/xerces and not use classpath's built-in stuff (this would end
> users can mix and match stuff to make their distribution) that would
> be even better. But "VM Interface" is priority #1.

Mark: is there some concensus forming on componentization of the
Classpath code that would allow defining whole functional units like
this?  The OSGi bundles model seems to tick a number of the boxes as a
standardized method for specifying the inter-component dependencies,
version control, etc.

I'll admit that simply following the legal discussions leaves me drained
-- if we can agree on *something* that allows for non-controvertial
technical interop then we should work on it to demonstrate the point.

I believe that the issues are mostly around packaging, because I think
it is possible to declare several main components of JSE such that there
are minimal non-API dependencies.  What is required is a mechanism for
combining the components into a complete system.  In the simple case
having a separate packaged JAR and native library per component does it
for me.

Thoughts?

Tim (you don't know how hard I'm praying this doesn't get derailed onto
another license discussion) Ellison

--

Tim Ellison (t.p.ellison@gmail.com)
IBM Java technology centre, UK.