harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "David N. Welton" <dav...@dedasys.com>
Subject Re: Full disclosure - GPL exception stuff (licensing - yuck!)
Date Sun, 04 Dec 2005 17:34:25 GMT
Fred Fox wrote:
>>I don't
>>care how 'free java' is licensed, as long as I can link proprietary code
>>to it if needs be, and it frees me from using Sun's java, and all the
>>restrictions that that entails.
>

> The day you don't just want to link proprietary code, but want to make a proprietary
modification to GregorianCalendar, you'll appreciate the freedom of the ASL compared to GPL
+/- exceptions.

I'm happy as long as I can subclass stuff.  I just want something that I
can use, distribute, and fix if it's broken for my needs.  I don't have
any problems with sharing those changes.  Anything proprietary I'm
likely to do will be in application code.  If I really needed to get
tricky, I might put some useless-to-everyone-else hooks in the GPL
parts, and use those, but we're getting real hypothetical...

Cheers,
--
David N. Welton
- http://www.dedasys.com/davidw/