harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Where to place the core classlib code?
Date Thu, 01 Dec 2005 16:38:15 GMT
Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
> Ok - so we should just move it then to
>
> enhanced/classlib/trunk
>
> and it goes from there.

Agreed.

> Now, I'm really worried about getting some build sanity from the  start,
> because other than a corked wine, there are few things more
> disappointing than "the build is broken"

Unless/until someone shows up with a comprehensive test suite we have to
start by writing tests for everything that gets patched.  A successful
build is a clean compile and testsuite pass.  I suggest that we make a
pact to self-host from the start, so the build system becomes the first
real test case that we have :-) .

> I think we need that each subproject will need freedom for approaches
> for building as we're going to have a diverse set of technologies.   But
> if we can federate so that
> what's in enhanced/build is the master that can kick off a subproject
> build, we have a bit os sanity.

Absolutely.

> We don't have to do it right now,  but
> we should keep this in mind as enh/classlib evolves in the very  near term.

I think we _should_ do it right now, to avoid the refactoring pain later.

--

Tim Ellison (t.p.ellison@gmail.com)
IBM Java technology centre, UK.