harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Where to place the core classlib code?
Date Thu, 01 Dec 2005 11:47:56 GMT

On Dec 1, 2005, at 6:04 AM, Tim Ellison wrote:

> I thought the idea was that each contribution started working directly
> in the sandbox?  Isn't that what Dan and Archie are doing?

We threw it in the sandbox because we had no better ideas and was a
good starting point.  Since I'm really hoping that we don't have
multiple classlibrary efforts here at Harmony (although that's
welcome too, I suppose, if someone really wants to do it...), I
figure we can start by moving this code out now, and then if one or
more of our VMs (Archie or Dan's) start to support it, we pull it out
too and put in the appropriate place - whatever that is - so we can
start having a comprehensive build.

> Once things are pulled out from the sandbox I propose that the
> repository is laid out to represent a few (non-trivial) sub-projects
> that have well-defined interaction, to allow some development
> autonomy,
> but build together into a single system, something like:
> enhanced
>   /classlib
>     /trunk
>     /branches
>     /tags
>   /vm
>     /trunk
>     /branches
>     /tags
>   /jit
>     /trunk
>     /branches
>     /tags
>   /build
>     /trunk
>     /branches
>     /tags
>
> and so on, with further subdivision within the sub-projects are
> required
> (e.g. ACL areas within the classlib as defined by the ACQ).
>
> Is this the sort of thing you mean?

Yes - we've talked about this before, and I just wanted to focus on
classlib...

The problem I have with this is that we won't be able to branch the
whole thing easily like we would if we had :

enhanced/
      trunk/
          classlib/
          vm/
          tools/
      branches/
          harmony-v0.5-branch/
      tags/
          harmony-v0.5-rc1/
          harmony-v0.5-rc2/

Thinking out load -  it's not obvious to me that we'd want to do that
anyway, given the eventual mass of this thing.  The deliverable goal
is a full stack and tools, would we really want to be assembling from
truly independent sub-parts?   Yah, I guess we do...  that allows the
sub-components to be independently developed and tested.

It might be that the structure of each subdivision (not using the
word "component" needs to vary independently also because of
requirement specific to each (for example, a modular class library
would have ore than one build artifact...

geir

geirm@apache.org