harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Where do we put it? (Was Re: [jchevm] Porting JCHEVM to OSX/PPC)
Date Mon, 05 Dec 2005 15:27:40 GMT

On Dec 5, 2005, at 10:17 AM, Archie Cobbs wrote:

>>> Good Idea, but where would I place that branch?
>>> "harmony/enhanced/branches/sandbox/contribs/jchevm/osx_port"?
>>>
>>> I'll look at the rest of the issues later...
>> Is there a way to safely get this code in the main trunk?  I
>> don't  mind (what about others?) if you need to work in the corner
>> of the  sandbox, but this seems like enhancement to the trunk
>> rather than a  revolutionary experiment...
>
> That's OK with me, but since it's still "completely untested" it seems
> like a branch may be better... but in any case, if there is some
> uncertainy,
> why not create a branch? Branches are essentially zero cost with
> Subversion,
> even if it's only for a short while to get things "in order", etc.

How about testing it? :)

I believe that the changes shouldn't break jcheVM on platforms other
than OSX/PPC, but if they don't work yet on OSX/PPC, that's fine.
If that can't be done - if David can't do that, then maybe a sandbox
is right, but at some point, it *has* to come back to the tree, which
means that it doesn't break the existing code, and I think that if we
can do that now in the trunk that's better.

We'd like to have a culture of "check in stuff that doesn't break
others", but "commit early and often so others can see and work with
what you are doing"

geir

geirm@apache.org