harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Dalibor Topic <robi...@kaffe.org>
Subject ASF has been shipping GPL exception stuff for years and still is ;)
Date Sun, 04 Dec 2005 12:31:07 GMT
On Sat, Dec 03, 2005 at 06:33:13PM -0500, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
> On Dec 3, 2005, at 5:23 PM, David N. Welton wrote:
>
> >Perhaps the difference is that with the bits and pieces of gcc that
> >you
> >get, you don't even realize that you have them, which is different
> >from
> > noting that you have several .jar files floating around in your
> >download that aren't under the same terms as the rest of the code.
> >

> I think a different way to say it, one that is clearer for my
> thinking, is that there is no dependence in the code, or on having to
> use GCC - a user can take the source and recompile with some other
> compiler to get working software.

Sure, but the ASF has chosen to ship software using GPL+linking exception
licensed code, and has beeing doing so for years, as I have shown, without any
negative results. The ASF has a choice not to ship the binaries, or to
ship them built with a different compiler, or to write their own compiler,
but it chose not to, because obviously GPL+linking exception is good enough
for what the ASF (and any $PROPRIETARY_SOFTWARE_VENDOR using gcc) does, or
it would not be doing it.

So, could the board please ratify the existing, and well-working practice of
the ASF shipping code using GPL+linking exception licensed code as
obviosly, trivially OK? That should not be too hard to get done quickly.
Pragmatism over ideology, and all that. That's why we are here, right?

cheers,
dalibor topic