harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Davanum Srinivas <dava...@gmail.com>
Subject [Licensing] Fresh start
Date Sun, 04 Dec 2005 18:50:35 GMT
Team,

Just remember, it has to go both ways :) Apache code in classpath and
classpath code in Harmony. We can't just push things so that it is a
one way street. So far what i have not heard is how/what can be done
to enable Classpath to use the tons of jakarta code and other Apache
code.

How about a plan of attack? Anthony, Dalibor and Mark can try hard to
lobby FSF's GPL v3 effort to be as compatible as possible with ASL
2.0? In the mean while, we can take up Stefano's offer of working on a
VM interface. If we get thru in one piece till GPL v3 gets out, then
we can investigate if Classpath can switch to use Xerces/Xalan etc
from Apache. In the parallel, let's see how LGPL bridge policy works
in the real world usage (once Apache-Legal formulates it and announces
it). At that point we can eval options on both sides and see how best
to go forward.

Stating the obvious, since none of the legal stuff is driven by anyone
on this list, we should move forward with technical solutions...stuff
that geir has always pushed for.

Is there a better plan of attack?

thanks,
dims