harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Where to place the core classlib code?
Date Thu, 01 Dec 2005 16:54:30 GMT

On Dec 1, 2005, at 11:38 AM, Tim Ellison wrote:

> Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>> Ok - so we should just move it then to
>>
>> enhanced/classlib/trunk
>>
>> and it goes from there.
>
> Agreed.
>
>> Now, I'm really worried about getting some build sanity from the
>> start,
>> because other than a corked wine, there are few things more
>> disappointing than "the build is broken"
>
> Unless/until someone shows up with a comprehensive test suite we
> have to
> start by writing tests for everything that gets patched.  A successful
> build is a clean compile and testsuite pass.  I suggest that we make a
> pact to self-host from the start, so the build system becomes the
> first
> real test case that we have :-) .

Well, as soon as possible. :)

I'd actually like to do both.  Test with ourselves, and test w/ other
VMs, as I'd hate to see us hide our own bug :)

>> I think we need that each subproject will need freedom for approaches
>> for building as we're going to have a diverse set of
>> technologies.   But
>> if we can federate so that
>> what's in enhanced/build is the master that can kick off a subproject
>> build, we have a bit os sanity.
>
> Absolutely.
>
>> We don't have to do it right now,  but
>> we should keep this in mind as enh/classlib evolves in the very
>> near term.
>
> I think we _should_ do it right now, to avoid the refactoring pain
> later.

I said "not right now" because right now there are no other things
peer to classlib/ other than build/ so I think the effort might be
better spent ensuring that building classlib/ (resolving all the open
ideas and threads there) works well...

But, yes.  Agreed.

geir

geirm@apache.org