harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Anthony Green <gr...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: ASF has been shipping GPL exception stuff for years and still is ;)
Date Mon, 05 Dec 2005 15:53:34 GMT
On Mon, 2005-12-05 at 00:13 -0500, Davanum Srinivas wrote:
> But even then, there is no guarantee that people will want to do it
> because they can't make a closed fork if they want to for whatever
> reason. (Which ASL allows and if people wanted to do that, they would
> already be participating in one of the existing VM's in the classpath
> galaxy).

This is true.  My feeling about this, as it relates to the core class
libraries, is that this is no place for proprietary innovation.  Let
people innovate around JIT, GC or other technology, but we're all better
off collaborating on a first class J2SE-certifiable core class library
collection.

The proprietary Java vendors seem to agree on this point since, as far
as I can tell, they all use the same class libraries as well.

AG