harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tom Tromey <tro...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: VM/Class Library Interface (or "Storming the Gates! Take 3!")
Date Tue, 15 Nov 2005 22:42:43 GMT

Tim> I read the description of CNI here:
Tim> 	http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcj/index.html

Tim> Is there some description of how this looks from the Java side?  Are the
Tim> natives declared as CNI natives somehow, or does the VM go through the
Tim> regular JNI dispatch (building a JNIEnv, function name mangling etc) to
Tim> call the CNI method.  Once in the native code I see how the unified
Tim> object model works.

The java side is plain old java, with the 'native' modifier for a
native method.

The choice of CNI or JNI is made at compile time.  The default is
CNI, you pass gcj the '-fjni' flag when generating object code to
request JNI.  -fjni causes gcj to emit special JNI-calling stubs -- the
calling convention everywhere is CNI-ish, these stubs do the required
translation (and call into libgcj to do the runtime linking required
by JNI).

The libgcj interpreter can only use JNI.  So, there is no need to
solve the "what does 'native' mean at runtime?" problem.

Tim> How does the existence of this calling convention affect the choice of
Tim> kernel types?  I agree there will be different characteristics for
Tim> kernel types written in JNI, CNI or Java, but since we agree that the
Tim> replacement is at a Java class level then I don't yet see how this is so
Tim> relevant.

Yeah, CNI is largely orthogonal to, say, where the 'native' keyword
appears in the Classpath sources.  Generally speaking in libgcj we
used to use native pretty liberally -- where ever it made life more
convenient.  The folks usually pushing a more strict separation into
'VM' classes  are those with nontraditional VMs, where native has a
different meaning, i.e. IKVM, or Jaos, or the oberon-based VM (I
forgot the name of that one, sorry).

Tom