harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [legal] Proposed changes for the Bulk Contributor Questionnaire
Date Wed, 16 Nov 2005 04:12:42 GMT

On Nov 15, 2005, at 8:20 PM, Dalibor Topic wrote:

> Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>
>> You get a list of files.  You can go check them.  Is how those
>> matches
>> were done significant?  Can you tell me the algorithm your  head
>> uses? :)
>>

> Well, we could simply throw a dice, if how the matches were done is
> not
> significant. :)

If the algorithm is bad, we don't find anything or lots of false
positives.  In either case we stop using the tool.

If the algorithm is good, we know what it would find if there's
anything to find, so we can use it.

In either case, we can (I believe) do a reasonable job of figuring it
out even if you don't have the source.

(I never had the source to Windows NT, but I knew it wasn't "good")

>> Ah - yes.  That's they key.  We would only compare against code
>> that  we
>> were comfortable having someone look at.  Specifically, I'm
>> afraid  of
>> Sun code accidentally getting into our codebase, because the
>> stuff  is
>> so prevalent in the Java community.  It's in every Sun J2SE
>> distro....
>>

> That should be easy enough: just grep for "confidential J2SE software
> from Sun, play nice and play fair!", or whatever the copyright headers
> on such Sun software say.
>
> Stuff beyound that would probably go beyound uncovering simple
> accidents, and would require quite a bit of cooperation from Sun to
> disclose the pedigree of their implementation's code and equivalent
> copperation from the contributors.

Why?  The source is available under the JRL.

> Let me give you another scenario:
>
> Purely hypothetically speaking, Sun's implementation may include third
> party software, and changes to such software. Contributions from
> others
> may include the same (open source, for the sake of argument) software
> and similar changes in order to meet specific, common goals defined by
> common specs.

For example, Sun's code includes apache code :)

> How do we determine for sure who wrote what when, and who copied what
> from whom, if that was OK then, and if the contributor has the
> right to
> contribute his changes? In case of conflicting opinions, what do we
> do?
>  Or even worse, if code comes from a now defunct and dead open source
> project from 1997 [1], with noone around any more, the web site and
> archives wiped out, what do we do? :)

I presume that the answer isn't "stick head in sand".

Let me ask you this - if the above software did exist and it made it
into Harmony's SVN,  would you prefer that

a) we knew about it and could explain the decision to include it

b) We were surprised at some future date

> I guess the point I'm trying to get across is that the best we can do
> with our resources are very simple, almost trivial checks like
> checking
> if the copyright headers are sane.

I believe we can do better than that.

> Anything beyond that gets very, very joyously complicated very
> quickly,
> without permanent active assistance from everyone, including the
> copyright holders of the proprietary implementations. Whether
> copyright
> holders of proprietary implementations would be pleased to dedicate
> resources for Harmony's potential regular inquiries about their code's
> pedigree, I don't know. I'm not sure a pull model scales well in this
> case. :)

I agree that it *can* get very complicated in the hypotheticals, but
I'd bet that the majority of what we'd find - if we'd even find
anything at all - would be due simple misunderstandings and
mistakes.  I'd sleep better knowing that we at least tried.  One of
our best defenses in the event something went wrong would be a
demonstrable, good faith effort to do reasonable oversight.

geir

geirm@apache.org