harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>
Subject [legal] Proposed changes for the Bulk Contributor Questionnaire
Date Mon, 14 Nov 2005 05:11:57 GMT
As promised, here are the proposed changes to our Bulk Contributor
Questionnaire.  The purpose here is to enable contributions for which
ACQs are not available for all authors of the contribution.  This
could be for many legitimate reasons, and we should do everything to
liberalize our contribution process where appropriate.

Some ideas behind the changes below :

0) We want to enable the acceptance of code created in the past.

1) We want to make people *think* about what they are contributing.

2) We want to make them *examine* their contribution, and do it in
ways that we think will help them think about the provenance.

3) We don't want to provide a loophole for contributors such that
code can be created in parallel with Harmony w/o our strict rules
about ACQ-ed contributors.

4) This is subjective - we still have our human intuition to rely on,
and can reject contributions if things don't 'feel' right.

I have a list of keywords to propose for the "keyword scan" question,
so that we can enable people to do a better job of examining and
thinking about what they are contributing.  Further, I visited the
offices of BlackDuck Software last week to get a feel for their
product, and talk to them about how they can work with us, and we
with them.  It was a good visit - I really got a good first
impression - and I will work to help them engage with us here if I
can. :)  [ My goal with them is to get a copy of their software
working on our infrastructure so we - the project - can use it to
scan contributions as well as continually scan our ongoing work...]

Anyway, below is my proposal for changing the BCC.  I have the old
version there as well for comparison.

Comments welcome.

geir

-----------

         The Apache Software Foundation
            Apache Harmony Project
         Bulk Contribution Checklist
                v 1.0 20051114

The Apache Harmony project is dedicated to producing a codebase that
has clear IP pedigree and protects the IP rights of others.  As part
of this effort, we ask the following questions of all contributions
of software that has been created outside of the project.  Our goal is
to provide clear and consistent oversight of the project codebase, as
well as encourage our contributors to carefully examine their
contributions before bringing to the project.

Please Note : This document and your answers are considered public
information,
and shall be part of the Apache Harmony project public records.

Part I :  Identification

    Please provide the following information

       Name : ___________________________________________
     E-mail : ___________________________________________

     Mailing address :

      Employer :  ___________________________________________

Part II : Description

     Please describe the contribution :

<old_part_III>
Part III :  Statement of Origination

      Have you personally written all of the code or other material
      that you are intending to contribute to this project?

       [ ] Yes    [ ] No

      If not, you need to satisfy both a) and b) below.

      a)  All of the other authors are Authorized Contributors for
the component.
          Please list the other authors :

      b)  You have a written agreement with those who wrote the material
          that either gives you ownership of the material or otherwise
          provides you sufficient rights to submit this material to the
          project on their behalf. Please provide the details of this
agreement:

</old_part_III>

<new_part_III>

Part III :  Statement of Origination

a) Have you personally written all of the code or other material
    that you are intending to contribute to this project, and if so,
    are you an Authorized Contributor for all parts of the contribution?

   [ ] Yes
   [ ] No

   If "yes", you're done with Part III, skip to Part IV
   If "no" please continue with the rest of Part III

b) Have you verified the development history of the code to
    identify ALL of the authors?

    Please list the other authors:

c) Do you have a written agreement with all of the authors that
    either gives you ownership of the material or otherwise provides
    you sufficient rights to submit this material to the project
    on their behalf.

    Please provide the details of this agreement:

d) Are all of the authors Authorized Contributors for the part of
    the contribution written/created by each author?

   [ ] Yes – if "yes", you're done with Part III, skip to Part IV.
   [ ] No – if "no", please continue with the rest of part III

e) Was the code written prior to May 2005 (when the Harmony Project
    was initiated)?

   [ ] Yes
   [ ] No

   (i)  If No, you must provide Authorized Contributor Questionnaires
        for the authors of the code created after May 2005 such that
        those authors  are classified as Authorized Contributors for
        the portions of the contribution  written by them
        after May 2005.

f) Did any of the authors of the code have access to third
    party implementations of similar technology while developing the
    contribution?

   [ ] Yes
   [ ] No

   If "yes", please give details below :

g) Was the code developed in accordance with a  development
    process which was designed to prevent unauthorized inclusion
    of third party  intellectual property rights into the code?
    (e.g., does the process require that developers not have
    concurrent access to third party implementations of similar
    technology during development?)

   [ ] Yes
   [ ] No

   If "no", the code isn't eligible for the Harmony Project.

   If "yes", please provide short description of the process,
   focusing on protections related to third party intellectual
   property :

h)  Did you follow the directions at http://harmony.apache.org/
keyword_scan
     (a scan for keywords that will help identify code pedigree) and
review
     the results?  Did your review confirm the history of the code?

     [  ]  Yes
     [  ]  No

     If "no", please explain.

Note : The Apache Harmony project generally performs additional
scans of bulk contributions to help confirm code pedigree.  For
example, the contribution may be compared against known proprietary
implementations of similar technology using a service such as that
offered by Black Duck or XXXXXXXXXX.  Prior to submitting the
contribution,
we strongly encourage you to use one of the many  third-party services
available to verify that the contribution will be acceptable.

Part IV : Checklist

   [ ] Contribution is licensed under the Apache License v2.0

   [ ] Software Grant or Corporate Contributor License Agreement and
Software
       Grant executed and submitted

v1.1 20051114

geirm@apache.org