harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: The Unofficial "Harmony, Licensing, the Universe and everything" FAQ
Date Fri, 18 Nov 2005 16:25:07 GMT

On Nov 18, 2005, at 11:14 AM, Leo Simons wrote:

> What apache does have a lot is multiple competing implementations
> of the same
> thing (eg 10 web app frameworks, 2 logging implementations, 3 logging
> abstractions, ...), and then we have some projects that aggregate
> those
> things and you can swap them in and out (Re: struts, cocoon). (Oh,
> and then
> everyone still wants to use hibernate :-)).
>
> I'm really interested in what's going to happen at/with harmony in
> this
> respect.

I think it's going to go something like this.  We're going to have a
handful of VM subprojects, a tools subproject, and a class library
subproject, and people will vote with their feet.  I expect that in
the longer term, we'll settle on one main VM effort as we take what
we learn and focus on our "production" effort.  That said, given the
sophistication of that VM, we'll have smaller, simpler VMs still
around for learning and experimentation...

I expect it all to be harmonious and peaceful...

geir

geirm@apache.org