harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Rodrigo Kumpera <kump...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Call for Contributions (was Re: 4 Months and...)
Date Wed, 23 Nov 2005 13:49:42 GMT
Hi David,

I havenĀ“t dropped the idea, my current free time is really small and
there are a few problems that I'm facing right know:

-A Java JVM must have a JITer, I have one working for windows/x86
except for synchronization and String loading. I don't have even
thought about multi-threading issues.

-Bootstrapping is really hard, I've been studying how both joeq and
jikesRVM work - it's troublesome and fragile. Taken from the mailing
list archives I've dropped their approach of mmaping an image and
decided for a more conventional approach. Right now I'm generating a
COFF object file and linking it as a library, the missing parts are
external method linking and making the JITer calling convention aware
(java method invocations are diferent from C method invocations).

-I want to make the JVM to be debugable as a Java application, this
seens to be easier than to generate enouth debug information to make
gdb happy. Maybe someone with DWARF-2 or COFF knowledge can say the
oposite.

-The JVM needs magic types for raw memory access, I've modeled then
like MMtk but haven't implemented the magic code generation.

I'm not sure that releasing code that perform just some random parts
is worth the problem.

[]'s
Rodrigo