harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>
Subject VM/Class Library Interface (or "Storming the Gates! Take 3!")
Date Fri, 04 Nov 2005 16:24:06 GMT
My favorite subject...

We have to address this.  We started a while ago and it didn't go
well, but we now have two VMs to work with, bootVM and jcheVM, and we
need to get going here in a serious way.  We're about to finish up
the legal framework with the bulk contributuion rules, and as much as
I am going to miss the process creation phase, it's time to get focused.

1) I didn't look at how jcheVM does it  - although I assume that it
uses the canonical GNU Classpath approach - and I'm not sure that
bootVM code is there yet for that.  I hope that Archie and Dan can
chime in with a summary of where things are.

2) I'm really interested in interoperability with other projects, so
however we do it, it should have this factor as one of the major
design goals.

3) I'm really worried about the GNU Classpath interface that extends
java.lang.  We do allow participants in this community to look at the
spec license, and we won't extend the defined namespaces in the spec.

So where does that leave us?  We'll, IMO it means we don't use the
GNU Classpath interface as it is now (but I'd want to be sure that we
do interoperate, so that means whatever we come up with we also
contribute to GNU Classpath so people can plug that in....).  We have
people around here, lurking and active, that have done this in anger,
so speak up...

geir

geirm@apache.org