harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: The Unofficial "Harmony, Licensing, the Universe and everything" FAQ
Date Fri, 18 Nov 2005 16:00:11 GMT

On Nov 18, 2005, at 10:03 AM, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

>  1) the two projects need a middle ground, a philosophy-neutral
> licensed interface code that can be used by both and implemented by
> all the pieces of the puzzle. I would suggest something like http://
> www.openvm.org/ and an MIT license. Both projects can use it, both
> projects can implement it, both projects can decide to adhere to it
> for sake of immediate reusability *and* clear license virality
> isolation.

We'd been circling around this issue earlier in some of the
architectural discussions, for all the obvious reasons, and I think
it's a good solution.

I was thinking that's it's a bridge to burn when we get to it, but
we're actually here now if you believe that the VM/classlibrary
interface is an important thing to get resolved (I do).  However, I
do worry about patents here, and the MIT license is absolutely silent
about it.