harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: The Unofficial "Harmony, Licensing, the Universe and everything" FAQ
Date Tue, 15 Nov 2005 03:45:03 GMT

On Nov 14, 2005, at 1:44 AM, Neil Macneale wrote:

> Mark Wielaard wrote:
>
>> Hi Leo,
>> On Wed, 2005-11-09 at 05:38 -0800, Leo Simons wrote:
>>
>>> I keep getting lost in the licensing discussions. I *think* the
>>> below accurately
>>> represents where we are right now.
>>>
>> Thanks for writing this down. I'll try to clarify some things
>> below. There is one nitpick with the whole setup though. It really
>> reads as if
>> harmony is just an ordinary Apache project. While when we started
>> it we
>> want it to be something that is a much larger cooperative effort
>> between
>> various different individuals, organizations and projects with
>> similar
>> goals but completely different backgrounds. Presenting harmony as
>> just
>> an Apache project doesn't do justice to it. And I feel it will
>> fail if
>> we do that. There are a lot of people working on all the sister
>> projects
>> who we currently are not giving the feeling they are part of our
>> harmony
>> collaboration. This is not something specific to your email though. I
>> often get the feeling that people on this list act as if Apache is
>> the
>> be all, end all for harmony and getting to a free software
>> replacement
>> for the proprietary non-free j2se implementations. And that does push
>> away a lot of people who have been working on all this for years
>> without
>> any Apache involvement at all. I personally feel that way at times
>> reading some of the discussions. Lets try to be a little more
>> inclusive
>> and get the support of those hundreds of people working already on
>> the
>> same goal, but who don't currently feel part of harmony.
>>

> This may be some what off topic, but I'm going to ask anyway...
>
> I am not clear what it is about the GPL which does not allow
> someone to package it up and distribute it for use with non-GPL code.

Well, it's not non-GPL code per se, but rather code under licenses
that aren't compatible with the GPL.

The problem is that many licenses are incompatible.  You cannot
combine code under the Apache License and code under the GPL and
(according to the FSF) conform to the terms of the GPL.  Because we
believe in respecting license terms,  we're stuck.

geir

geirm@apache.org