harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Keeping Social Dynamics in Mind [was Re: Building choices]
Date Mon, 21 Nov 2005 15:08:49 GMT
Tim Ellison wrote:

[snip discussion on make vs ant]

> I think the discussion is simply at what point the Ant script does a
> platform-specific <exec>.  When using 'make' the script calls-out early
> and uses make to manage the native code side dependencies; when using
> 'cpptask' the script calls-out later and uses Ant to manage the
> dependencies.  We figured that 'make' was a more universal C build
> system than cpptask.

Before this turns into a coloring my bikeshed argument, let me point out
one thing: how the choice of tools impacts community dynamics.

One of the goals of any project that wants to be successful is to
attract diversity in the community interested in it.

for "diversity" in apache we mean "from different affiliations, walks of
life, technical backgrounds, interests, needs, etc..". We believe
diversity in the social ecosystem plays a key role in both stability and
adaptation of the software to environmental needs. This is really the
'secret sauce' of the ASF.

At the same time, our experience teaches that there are gaps that people
are unlikely to bridge, unless helped. In short, sometimes those who are
promoting diversity and are in need for help and for sharing development
costs, have to wash the dishes first.

One argument that comes to mind to attract people is simplicity: of use,
of installation, of configuration, of understanding, of modularization,
of adapting it to ones needs, etc..

That is *not* the right way to spin it, because it wouldn't explain how
stuff like the linux kernel can manage to attract so many people to work
on it.

It's not the investment that needs to be reduced, but it's the "return"
on that investment that needs to be increased. Really, how much the
investment is practically meaningless: there *is* somebody out there
willing to do pretty much anything (in terms of energy/time/programming)
if he can do what he wants.

Now, for harmony what he wants is *crystal clear*: run java in a way
that is not possible before. Faster on a Mac, shipped with Debian,
workign on FreeBSD, working on their embedded device, avoid the "OMG,
microsoft bought sun and killed java" syndrome, you name it.

Do you *seriously* think that such a person would be stopped by having
to use make and ant?

In short, ask yourself: how likely is it to be able to attract the kind
of people that could be interested in Harmony if I make this choice? ant
vs. make, which one would be more palatable, attractive, maximize their ROI?

And then, yes, you have to wash the dishes for a while and drag
somebody's feets because somebody in your team is unhappy about the
choice. Such is life: the day the unhappy guy in the team sees a patch
coming out of nowhere for a problem he was not able to identify, he'll
understand why he had to wash dishes for a while. ;-)

--
Stefano.